A chemical peel is a dermatologic treatment that uses safe chemicals to exfoliate and extract dead or damaged skin cells, leaving a fresh and vibrant appearance. This treatment can be beneficial for patients with certain signs of aging or damaged skin, such as acne scarring, sun spots, or uneven pigmentation. By removing the outermost layer of your skin, this treatment can create a smoother, softer texture, as well as tighten and tone its appearance, giving you a refreshed and more youthful look. Dr. Clarence Wiley, Sr. offers chemical peels to patients at Beauty thru Health Dermatology in Oklahoma City, OK.
What is a Chemical Peel?
A chemical peel uses a topical solution to remove the outermost layer of skin and help minimize the appearance of cosmetic blemishes. This dermatologic treatment provides a stronger form of exfoliation to remove cells that make the skin appear dull, uneven, or damaged. Once the solution is applied, the outer layer of skin will begin to peel away over the course of a few days, revealing a healthier, smoother, and rejuvenated appearance.
If you are looking for a minimally invasive solution for treating cosmetic blemishes, Dr. Wiley can recommend the appropriate chemical peel.
Different Types of Peels
At Beauty thru Health Dermatology, we provide a variety of chemical peels to treat various cosmetic blemishes and concerns. Dr. Wiley will perform a thorough evaluation and recommend the treatment that is best-suited for you, including:
- Light Peel: This superficial treatment involves placing alpha-hydroxy acid on the outer surface of your face to smooth skin and address blemishes, such as fine lines, uneven pigmentation, and acne scarring. In most cases, it can generally be completed in less than an hour and you can return to normal activities immediately.
- Medium Peel: If you have more moderate concerns, such as prominent wrinkles, sunspots, freckles, and hyperpigmentation, Dr. Wiley may recommend a stronger chemical solution, such as trichloroacetic acid. This solution can penetrate the outer and middle layer of your skin. Although it requires a longer recovery period than a light chemical peel, there is still minimal downtime.
- Deep Chemical Peel: For a more aggressive form of treatment to address moderate to severe skin concerns, including pre-cancerous growths, Dr. Wiley may recommend a deep chemical peel. This treatment uses phenol acid to remove the outer, middle, and deeper layers of skin to provide dramatic results. Because the chemicals used are stronger than the lighter peels, the recovery time is more extensive.
Conditions a Chemical Peel Can Treat
A chemical peel can treat a variety of skin conditions, including:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Crow’s feet, smile lines, and facial folds
- Acne scars
- Sunspots or age spots
- Sagging skin
- Surgical scars
- Uneven skin tone and rough skin texture
- Precancerous skin growths
Schedule Your Chemical Peel
If you are looking for a minimally invasive solution for treating cosmetic blemishes, Dr. Wiley can recommend the appropriate chemical peel. To learn more about this treatment, contact our practice online or give us a call at (405) 278-7911 to schedule your consultation.